Monday, April 21, 2014

Words

Last saturday night, I went to a Best buddies event. Best buddies creates friendships between students with and without disabilities. After the event I drove my brothers friend home, and-being a 17 year old driver-I didn't have enough gas to get home. So I went to the gas station. As I was getting my $20 worth of gas at 11pm in my fancy dress that I was wearing for the event, a big white car pulled up. They were at the pump across from me, but no one got out. They rolled down the windows and I couldn't see the driver but the other passengers looked about thirteen. They started shouting at me some pretty mean things that I won't repeat here. It was stupid and obviously they were just learning to cuss, but I couldn't even react. They pulled away, without getting gas, and continued to say things that were quite rude. To be honest, I'm mostly just dissapointed. It's sad that there are people like this. That need to do this for fun, confirmation, whatever. But I spent the whole night doing something that I love and feeling good, feeling like I was the person that I want to be, and they come along and make me feel like crap. Some random stupid guys can come in and make me feel bad, that doesn't seem right.
People need to be aware of the effect of their words. Words are a powerful weapon, a powerful tool, and they need to be used wisely. Words can uplift a person, but they can also bring them to tears. Words, written or spoken, have an impact, and this night, seeing words have such a positive and then negative effect, it really sunk in. I don't know if this isn't taught to people anymore, but it's really sad when people are rude. There is nothing good that comes of it, yet it happens so much.

"The pen is mightier than the sword."-I'm pretty sure this is a famous quote

No comments:

Post a Comment