Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Giving Up

Giving up something, on something, and on someone are some of the hardest things to do. Giving up something isn't that common of a problem. If it is, it's usually giving up a certain food, and by choice.
But then there's giving up the sport you love, or being in the play, because you think you aren't good enough or you don't have time or that's not what you're going to do so you think it's a waste of time. Honestly, this is sad to me. We should try to find time for everything, especially the things we're passionate about. After high school, I don't plan on doing anything theater related at all. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't be sound designer or try out for the plays or try to et an officer position next year. I want to do all those things, so I'm going to. I don't think I should have to give those things up.
I am going to give up the dream of being an actress or a singer or an author, because one in a million gets those things and personally, I don't want to do that. I don't want to have that kind of life, but that doesn't mean I have to be cynical and tell other people to give up that dream. 
Giving up on people is the worst. Sometimes you'll have a friend who you keep forgiving but your friendship just isn't working out. Sometimes you have to turn the page and finish that chapter of you life. Maybe you'll miss them, or the person they used to be. There are friendships I've had to give up on because they're from camp, and I'm never going to see them again. That sounds overly dramatic, but some people don't come back to camp the same week or at all, and that's that. Especially when you live as far away as I do from those people. 
Some people you have to give up on because it's just not working out. That friend you fight with all the time that you just have to stop going back to. That person in one of your classes that you could be friends with but in real life(outside of class) it probably wouldn't work. The ex that you try to be friends with but it's not working. That person from the play that you try to talk to every once and a while but it's just too much work because you've got so much else going on. Those are the people that you regret letting go of, but sometimes you just have to. There will be people that it's worth it to hold out for, to wait and keep trying until it works, but sometimes you're just kidding yourself. You can't do everything and keep friends with everyone you've ever known. It just doesn't work that way. So there comes a point when it's not worth it anymore. When the only thing left to do is walk away.

"A flood of memories flitted through my mind. We'd been together since childhood. Inseparable. Bound. And yet... "I'm sorry." I left her there as I walked toward the gate...turning my back on her..."-Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

1 comment: