Thursday, October 10, 2013

Looking Back-part one

This is labeled part one because I just know I'll want to write about it again. I just know. 
So last night, I had a dream about someone I haven't talked to in a long time. No, I'm not going to go on about how it was creepy that I happened to see them today. I didn't. But we were friends last year and this year we've barely acknowledged each other in the halls. It got me thinking about why we stop talking to people. Sometimes there's a reason, a big fight, whatever. But sometimes we just...stop. I've known a lot of people in my life who I've stopped talking to. I wish that we could still be friends. I miss those people. Especially the one I had the dream about, but that's fairly obvious. He was in one of my dreams, so I must be thinking about him. The problem with missing people is that they get built up in your head. I don't know if he's actually as awesome as I remember him, because it's possibly just my head making him more intelligent and witty, as he remains untainted by reality. Part of me thinks, oh well, at least I've got good memories. But part of me really wants to reach out to him. What's stopping me from becoming friends with him again? Am I scared? Of what? Sure, maybe he doesn't want to be friends. Maybe he doesn't have time. Maybe he doesn't even really remember me. But at least I'll have tried, and then I'll know. There's never any harm in just trying. Besides, there's plenty of other people that I've lost touch with that I could try to reconnect with. If you're reading this, I challenge you to reconnect with an old friend. Go and talk to that person you just outgrew. Maybe you'll be best friends. And if you're really feeling ambitious, mend the bridge. Find the people that you had a reason for not talking to anymore and fix it. The things we never try or say are our biggest regrets. I already regret not keeping in touch with him.
Keep in touch with people. You want to. You don't want to live your life wondering what might have been.

"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way.” 
― Henry David Thoreau

I've been told my quotes sometimes don't make sense. This one is pretty simple, but here goes: Don't regret the past friendships and relationships you've had. Be happy they happened and move on. If you can't do that, then maybe you need to revisit it. It might be best for you to go back and try things again. Especially if there was no reason it ended. If there was, don't relapse. Only go back for things you think you really should. I feel I really should be friends with that guy who popped up in my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment