Sunday, April 14, 2013

Always a First

So I've always thought blogs were a little weird, but recently my friend Cat started a blog (see link below), and her posts have been really inspiring. It made me think that maybe I should try this, and I'm the kind of person that actually would, so here it is.
My name is Mackenzie, and I'm a typical high school girl, I think. I get pretty good grades, I've got awesome friends, an adorable boyfriend (although I'm not sure how he'd feel about getting called adorable), a supporting family, I do theater, and I write. That's me, in a sentence.
I feel like people want to be more than a sentence, they want to be great and fantastic. But the truth is that everyone can be described in one sentence. Now, don't get ahead of me here and think I'm going to be mean and depressing. A lot can fit into one sentence, and you get to decide how that sentence is written. It can be "I play the violin." or it can be a list like mine was, or it can be "I discovered the cure to cancer." Everything depends on how you choose to present yourself. People very rarely present themselves as someone awesome, and I think it's sad. Everyone should be proud of who they are, and frankly, that shy kid who never tells anyone how good they are at something is never going to get anywhere with it. For example, I'm a singer, and when i tell people that they always expect me to sing for them. I can either sing or sit there and be embarrassed, and I know which one is going to make it so I'm not confident enough to make it in the professional world (that's not what I want to do with my life, but for the sake of the example...)
Also, that one sentence to describe yourself can tell you who you are. What words you use tell you more about how you feel about yourself than they do your hobbies or interests. I believe that word choice is key to almost everything. It does a lot, and in any sentence, any single sentence, each and every word is important, so people should realize before they dismiss something. The simple things in life get ignored in life, but how difficult would it be for you to express yourself if the word "I" didn't exist? "It"? "And"? Appreciate the small things.
So that's me. I'm going to post here when I can and just write about anything. I'll take you inside my mind a moment, and you can enjoy, hate, comment, ignore, or do whatever else kids do these days.

"A cabin of freshly peeled logs cut from the land, a patch of dirt and stumps for a yard, mountains that serrated the sky."-The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

http://theworldsmycoloringbook.blogspot.com/

1 comment: