Saturday, April 20, 2013

Girl Pressure-Being Pretty

First of all, I didn't post yesterday. I don't know if that actually matters to any of you, but still, sorry.
Being a girl. It's an age old topic, because half the population can never know what it's like. In our society, being a girl oftentimes includes a pressure to look good. We have unrealistic standards of how we should look, and we know that, yet we still strive to be that way. Sometimes I don't care and throw on a sweatshirt and jeans, but the truth is, I want to be someone that people consider pretty. I think that deep down, most girls do. Some not so deep down. And it's sad, because everyone is pretty in different ways. It's completely stupid of us to expect everyone to be exactly the same. If you didn't inherit certain genes then you're somehow not as good as someone else? "It's not who we are inside, but what we do that defines us." That's from Batman. I'm going to take this literally for the sake of example, and say that it's not our DNA that defines who we are, but the things that we do. So we shouldn't rely on being pretty. Truthfully, being pretty is going to help you in life. Really pretty girls get more, it's just a fact. But by not relying on that, you can get more. Pretty or 'not', you can do well in life by owning the other parts of who you are. Relying on looks is the easy way out. But you know, sometimes you just can't help it. You don't know you're using your looks to get something. That's okay. I don't really know, I've never done it, but don't let your looks consume you.
I guess this could apply to guys, but girls have to deal with trying to look good every day. I realize I talked about being pretty and not being a girl, but they go hand in hand. That's the most stressful part about being a girl, if you ask me. Yeah, yeah, childbirth and periods and all that, but don't you think we've complained about that enough?

"It's not who we are inside, but what we do that defines us."-Batman Begins

1 comment: