Thursday, April 18, 2013

Social Awkwardness

So today I'm going to talk about social awkwardness. At first I was going to talk about boredom, but I realized it would end up being about awkwardness anyway(as that is what comes of boredom in public), so here it is.
Being "awkward" has become something cute and admirable in today's society, as a product of the adorably awkward stars like Zooey D-something on New Girl. Of course, awkward can be adorable, but most of the time, true awkwardness is just a hinderance. To the awkward person, not anyone else.
To be socially awkward is to not know what to do in a social situation. Many people have become this because of smartphones and other mobile devices that monopolizes our attention while in public. I'd like to say I'm exempt from this, but I'm sitting at a track meet, writing this on my phone. We've created a generation of people that, in most situations, will turn to their phone instead of another person. Now, our phones have a lot of great uses, I just think that it's gone a bit overboard. In a way, we're rendering real social interactions unnecessary, and that scares me. That creates all these people who don't know how to act around other people.
Social awkwardness is not confined by just that. It includes those kids that are anti-social, and the one time they go to a party, they immediately leave or they don't have much fun. It also includes that kid that hangs on the outside of groups. There's also that kid that at first seems really fun but just has not had enough friends to really realize what is and is not socially acceptable.
Of course, all this leads back to the fact that social awkwardness is defined by social standards that seem arbitrary. Who came up with those rules that just seem to be there? They aren't written down, they're barely spoken, yet they're there. Everyone has to follow social rules. Well, technically you don't, but let's face it, you have to have so much courage to step outside of them. I'm not saying conform, I'm talking about not making animal noises in public. Go ahead, but people are going to judge, and you're probably just doing it for attention. I don't know though, maybe you enjoy it. Whatever you want. Anyway, we've come up with these rules, and we, as a society, will enforce them. We've decided this group of people we deem "socially awkward", so it's our choice on how we deal with it. To be honest, I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this. I guess I'm just trying to say that we are society, so don't feel confined by what society says. The connotation of "awkward" has changed before, many things have. We have the the power to change it, maybe not individually but as a whole, and that takes the individuals doing it on their own, there isn't going to be an announcement. It's just going to happen.

"It would be so nice if something made sense for a change."- Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment