Sunday, April 28, 2013

Ignorance Is Bliss

They say that ignorance is bliss. Maybe it is. What would ignorance mean? Would it mean not knowing about horrible things? Not realizing what human beings are capable of? I don’t know if that would be such a good thing. I think that all that would do is give more power to those that weren't ignorant. Sure, maybe the ignorant people would think they were happy, but would they be? Or would they just be living in this false pretense of happiness? What even constitutes as happiness? Is it when we forget who we are and everything else because right in that moment we’re happy? Or is it when we realize how wonderful things are and we don’t want anything to change? They’re kind of opposites, but they’re both ways that happiness is described. There’s also this connotation with happy moments that we don’t want real life to settle in. I feel like this is stated in books a lot. The two characters will be kissing, and it’s ‘all she’s ever wanted’ or whatever, but then real life sets in. They get an adrenaline rush on the mission, but then they have to get back to real life. Is this insinuating that happiness isn't real life? Can we not be happy with the lives that we have?
So, ignorance is not bliss. It can make us forget for a while, and we may think we’re happy, but eventually we’ll find real life. Real life will settle in, and then what? So that bliss can’t last. Real happiness can. We just have to accept the lives that we live and be happy with them. If we can’t do that, we should change the way we live. I’m happy right now. Sometimes I melt down or freak out, but we all do that. Those are a few things in my life that I’m not happy with, and I’m changing them. I’m not fixing them, I’m changing them. It’s my belief that when you feel like you’re broken, you’re not. You just aren’t finished yet. While you’re still going, you can mold who you want to be. And the things that you’re happy with can just be. You don’t have to hold onto them for your life, just be happy that they’re there. A lot of things in my life are like that right now. I’m not doing anything about it except enjoying it, and it seems to be working out for me. Of course, if it’s a person, there’s generally no harm in telling them you care about them, you appreciate them, you love them, whatever it is. You can just tell them that they make you happy, It is important to recognize those responsible for happy parts of your life, just as long as your happiness isn’t completely reliant on one person. If it is, that person should be you. I want to say that they’ll be there, but we established that ignorance is not bliss. They may not always be there for you, so you have to be there for you.

My life is just about perfect.”-Renegade by J. A. Souders

No comments:

Post a Comment