Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Music

This post is inspired by my boyfriend, who really likes music, and he gave me a mixtape today, so it got me thinking about music. Music means more than most things to a lot of people. It's inspiration, motivation, creativity, emotion, and brilliance. At the same time, it's noise. It's just a random grouping of noises that we have deemed as sounding good. Take dupstep for instance. It's a kind of music that I happen to enjoy, but many people don't understand how it can even be counted as music. A lot of modern music is seen as "not real music" simply because people still have an "old" frame of mind when it comes to music. Don't get me wrong, I love older music, and I really don't like a lot of the music that's being produced right now, but it is still music. People are entitled to like it. What I do't like is that music can make a difference in the world. It's a way to send a message that is nonviolent, efficient, and really smart. I wish more people took advantage of that in a positive way, instead of sending messages that are going to nurture the human stupidity. This does not mean all music is stupid, it means that it's not making people think about what we're doing to the world, how people are getting treated, and what is really happening. It's talking about who you should be doing it with and what drinks or drugs you should be doing. Not to sound like a parent or anything, but I really don't think those are necessary in songs. Words are a powerful thing, and they can be a weapon or a tool. This goes for all social media outlets. I think that when we have the ability to send profitable messages, we should. Simple as that.
Anyway, music. Most people have music tastes. They have certain things that they like or don't like, and I totally get that. But I like pretty much all music. It all has something to say, regardless of what that message is, and generally I think most of it sounds pretty good. Alright, some of it I just don't understand at all and I can't listen to more than a song of it, but I can endure.(really my taste in music is arbitrary) And I'm not going to hate on someone else for liking it. I don't really understand hate. I really don't see a point for it at all. I know that sounds very hippie or whatever, but I don't see a reason to hate anyone or anything. You shouldn't hate a person, for any reason. Especially if it's a celebrity or something, because you don't know them. You may dislike their product, but you do not know them as a person, so judgment is unnecessary and I believe it's just going to make you look unintelligent. You shouldn't hate a thing, because what is your hate going to do? Absolutely nothing except annoy you and all the people that you choose to tell about your hatred. Back to my music tastes, despite being slightly random, my boyfriend somehow manages to get all songs that I really do enjoy onto my mixtape. Also he's introducing me to some music that I never listened to before, but I find that I really like. So good for him, I guess.
Music, to me, is really just a snapshot of what the times are. The songs that are made in a certain era explain what's happening. So what's going on right now? What does our music say about our society? I'm not sure, actually. I think it says a lot of things, but it's all perspective. If I've learned anything in life, it's that nothing is finite or defined. Everything is going to be different to different people in some way. It's all taken different ways and the perspective keeps changing, all it takes is one little shift and everything seems totally new. Nothing can be judged, really, because it's all based on what we've decided is good or bad based on the perspective of who was in charge, the loudest, or whatever it was. I can't decide if that's amazing or horrifying.

"If music be the food of love, play on; give me excess of it, that, surfeiting, the appetite may sicken, and so die."-Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare


No comments:

Post a Comment