Saturday, April 27, 2013

Strength

Today I've been thinking a lot about strength. Not physical strength, but mental strength. The ability to stay strong through a tough situation, to smile despite the tears and laugh despite the pain. I've witnessed a lot of strength in my friends that I don't think even they see. Life happens, and we can't predict the emotional roller coaster it's going to take us on. So we don't know if we're going to be really happy when we happen to have a sad event to go to, or be really sad when we have a big party that night. Some people would not go, or allow their feelings to take over the event. Those people are the weak people. When they're sad, it's all about them. Now every once and a while that's okay, but this post is for the strong people. The ones who hide what they're feeling so that everyone else can enjoy that party and everyone else can live their lives. Those people are strong. They know that it's not all about them, and they can wait for their turn. It comes, but not right away. Maybe it's a day or two after their pet died that their friends can all give them a hug and talk about how much they all loved that pet. Those people can handle things, they can go through the worst things and it might be a while before anyone notices.
To those strong people: it's okay. You can let go. It's hard to be strong. To hold your own feelings inside because you don't feel like your feelings are important enough, or maybe you just don't like sharing, but you need to. I applaud you for being strong, but you need to talk. To vent. To scream. To cry. To laugh. To hug and be hugged. Now is your time. The more you hold it in, the worse it's going to get. You've waited through all your friends problems, through all the fun nights you didn't want to spoil, through all that other stuff that you told yourself was more important. It's not. The strong people are the ones that get left out, because they're busy helping out the others. They're looking after everyone else so much that no one thinks to look after them.
I was really thinking of one friend I have. At first, I was the strong one, and I broke down to her Thursday night about something that had happened that made me sad. She helped me tell our other friends the next day, and I was much calmer than when I had told her the first time. She held me up when I wasn't strong anymore. I finally had accepted that it was my time. If I was allowed a time to be sad, it was then. But then I thought about her. About how she was always holding me up and helping me. She makes these comments sometimes, and sometimes they're more than comments, and so far I've done nothing. I've been like every other person out there, thinking of my own problems and letting her be strong. But she deserves to let down her guard. To not always be the strong one, and I hope that I can give that to her. Maybe she talks to someone else, but part of me has this feeling she's like me, I just cracked first. But it's not a competition. Being strong isn't always a good thing. It gets tiring, frustrating, and sometimes sad. There are things that shouldn't be ignored.
If you have a friend that this made you think of, someone that you think might be the strong one, talk to them. Even if they don't think they do, they need to talk to someone. No one can be strong all the time. Well, maybe they can, but no one should have to be.

"'I can't do it by myself,' I whispered.
'You can,' he said. There was a tremulous note in his voice. 'You're strong—you're so, so strong. It's why I love you.' " -Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

2 comments:

  1. What is strength if not the ability to constantly hold the world on its axis and allow your existence to be perched high above those who are weak; those whose lives crumble under harsh words and less than ideal circumstances. Why is it that we attribute strength to those who are weak because they act valiantly in times if distress. The world needs beings of a higher resolution, those who thoughts and actions not only promote others but maintain order within the inner workings of their own mind. It is impossible to explain this strength to those who have not seen the world without light. Darkness brings about the real strength in an individual and breaking down shows the world that while you are indeed as strong as you sound you are only human and you cannot hold strength up forever. Like a last line of defense from the world strength is conjured. It seals us from the hatred of others and yet their words still cause us pain. I'm sorry if I ramble on but this is a sensitive subject for me as well. Always being strong in the face of society I have learned to take a step back, shield myself from the dark projectiles of hatred that come with human contact and dwell within the shadows. From here the world is not as big as it seems and the strength of others is as easy to break as glass.

    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, i can't even get past the fact that you used the word sensitive in this. But you make a good point. Remember, I'm trying to be optimistic. It doesn't hurt to try to get the best out of life. That's what we're both doing, you're just putting other people down to get there. I'm helping them up with me. Yes, you will get further and ultimately be 'better' in a way, but is it better to have one person be really great or a lot of people just great?

      Delete